JVZoo
MultiSafePay
WorldPay
Plimus
WSO Pro
Paypal Digital Goods
RevenueWire
SWReg

Thesis / Wordpress membership setup - just donīt get it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DLGuard Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stylos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Thesis / Wordpress membership setup - just donīt get it... Reply with quote

Guess Iīve missed some basic information (lack of understanding?) - but it is very complicate for me to understand how to set up a working membership area for Thesis wordpress theme. I understood that there should be a members area (but where the hell should that be if all the pages are generated dynamically from the Wordpress database?!?)... Iīve also found the information here in the forum (very exhausting to find any related themes effectively) to ad some code snippet in the Wordpress "header.php" (pardon, donīt remember the exact file name, shame on me!). But with Thesis there is no such header.php! There is no file at all where I could include a code snipet... Long story short, Iīve bought the wordpress plugin "DLGuard Wordpress Membership" that is also announced here on the forum - all I get when put in to use is a database access error and the protected page shows up. Does anybody has some helpfull hints to help out or even fundamental knowledge to offer? (Iīve tried to find answeres on the Thesis forum - no way, the developer says it would be obsolete way to paste some code snipet before main configuration files... something like that...).
Please help!!!!!!!! I really get lost, instead of generating content for my blog I am fighting with technical issues since a couple of weeks now. Any help is appreciated very much! Thank you ladies and guys!

Beeing so emotional I almost forgot: I have set up a "payed membership group" and tested it with PayPal. All of this works. But when I want to log in (make use of the login template in the dlgīs "/templates/memberships/login_template.html") I do get and see the page but instead of the input fields for username and password only this shows "%%dlglogin%%".

Oh, one more thing (I would possibly give a tiny piece of my virtual left finger - if I could have this). A book with plain step by step examples and explanations of how to setup a functioning DLGuard membership site on Wordpress blogs. Explained in such a way, that even a foreigner to the English language could follow and understand.... Shocked
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stylos,

No worries, I'm happy to help!

All themes in Wordpress are set up a little differently, but Thesis is a popular theme so it should be fine!

Firstly, your membership area:

This can be anywhere you like, but usually most people choose to create a category in Wordpress and called it "members" or something like that.

Have you created a category yet? And if so, have you created any posts inside that category?

The basic idea is DLGuard will lock down your category to members only.

Let me know if you've set up a category and any posts inside that category yet.

That's the first step!

The "header.php" file. This is generally found by logging in to your Wordpress admin area, going to the "Appearence" menu and selecting "Editor".

This brings up the theme editing section. On the right hand side you should see a list of files. One of them should be named "header.php".

Having said that, some themes don't use standard file names, but I'm pretty sure Thesis should have a file named "header.php".

It's at the very top of that page that you paste your PHP code:

Code:
if (eregi("members", $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])) {
  $pathToDLG = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/dlg/";
  $dlgMemberGroup = "1";
  include ($pathToDLG."members/dlgmembers.php");
}

...where "members" in the first line is the name of your category that you want secured for members only. And the member group number on the 3rd line is equal to the group number in DLGuard that people will be joining.

Login templates:

It sounds like you're trying to view the login template directly. It's not designed to be accessed directly. What happens is when someone tries to access your members area in Wordpress, DLGuard will use that template file to display a login screen automatically.

You don't need to send customers to that login template. It's all automatic. You'll see this in action when you get the Wordpress category locked down, as described above.

If you get stuck with any of this, feel free to open a support ticket and I can talk you through it, or even login and have a look at your set up for you if you wish.

cheers
Sam
-------
Keep up to date with DLGuard and other GuardHQ products: www.guardhq.com/newsletter.php
www.twitter.com/DLGuard
Stylos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sam,
thanks for this fast response - and yes, you are right, it can be done with Thesis. I didnīt see the forest for the trees īcause Iīd stick to the idea using "header.php". And I was in despair for no php files can be produced as far as I know (without loosing the advantage of having pre-formatted blog desgin). In Thesis one has to use the "custom editor" instead of Wordpress editor - and there is only one file where php code can be pasted in (every Thesis user knows of...) which is the "custom_functions.php".

Iīve created a category "members" as you suggested and pasted your code on top of that page and it works. It also works if I use a page name as the first variable:
if (eregi("my_page_name", $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])) {

Also the $dlgMemberGroup = "1"; takes more than one value for the group memberno., for example: $dlgMemberGroup = "1,3"; did work for me.

Hopefully I am not messing anything up. What I did not figured out is what file I have to call, to let the group member have access to the members main menue - for changing his password for example. There is an URL which is associated with the payed membership in the membership setupmenue. When using this as mentioned earlier it wonīt work. With the example given in the manual (setting up a membership via a free product) this works perfectly. May be Iīll find out later on. Thank you very much for the fast help!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stylos,

Great to hear you got it working!

And yes, setting multiple groups like you did is exactly right when you want to allow access to the same members area for multiple groups.

With the change password code, I assume you pasted this into a Post in Wordpress?

If so, I assume you have a plugin that allows PHP to run inside Wordpress?

Is it throwing an error? If so, what is the error message?

cheers
Sam
-------
Keep up to date with DLGuard and other GuardHQ products: www.guardhq.com/newsletter.php
www.twitter.com/DLGuard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DLGuard Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: